Why We Love it
Accent your home with zen and harmony with this limited edition tsuyukusa gold zabuton cushion from Kyoto’s finest zabuton maker, Takaokaya, founded in 1919.
Takaokaya’s zabuton cushions are a treasure of centuries-old Japanese craftsmanship and tradition. Employing expertise passed down through the generations, each zabuton cushion is handcrafted by master artisans to ensure every step contributes to impeccable comfort and firmness.
This attention to detail is what sets this authentic zabuton cushion apart from others. The 4 inches of 100% premium cotton padding is skilfully layered by hand in a gentle curve to offer you essential support for your posture, when sitting or kneeling for any period of time.
This sunset gold zabuton features tsuyukusa (露草), also known as Asiatic Dayflower, a type of wildflower that is known to bloom from summer to fall. The masterful artwork depicts the ethereal tsuyukusa leaves blowing against the golden sky.
Following the Kyoto tradition, the center of the zabuton cushion is finished with sampo-toji, a three-pronged stitch. The forward-pointing stitch enables you to distinguish between the front and the back of the cushion. The corner tassels, evolved from age-old Japanese custom, act to prevent harmful energy from disturbing one’s state of mindfulness.
How to Use Your Zabuton Cushion
- Home furnishing: Our exquiste zabuton cushions complement any tatami mat, wooden floor, armchair or sofa. They’re also perfect for sitting on the floor to protect the ankles and knees, preventing muscle and joint aches, and easing blood circulation.
- Meditation: Takaokaya’s zabuton are a staple in Kyoto’s temples, used by Buddhist monks when engaging in Zen meditation. Their distinctive thickness and firm rounded top, creates the ideal support and stability necessary to comfortably meditate for long periods of time.
- Yoga: Use these thickly padded zabuton to protect your knees or elbows, or take all the stress out of lotus and cross-legged positions, helping to alleviate lower back strain.
- Chairs: Do you have a favorite chair that looks great, but is uncomfortable to sit on? These plush zabuton cushions are ideal to transform any awkward seat into a luxury easy chair, helping you stay relaxed longer and effectively support your posture.
- Baby cushions: Japanese parents have found this high-quality zabuton cushions particularly useful as a play mattress that is safe and comfortable. They can also be used for changing the baby in a convenient and practical way. This diversity makes the zabuton a perfect multi-purpose item for small apartments.
- Limited Edition Cotton Zabuton Cushion
- Handmade in Japan
- 100% cotton padding; cover 60% polyester, 20% silk, 15% acrylic, 5% nylon
- Product code: 50222BL
- Size: 21 ½” x 23” (55cm x 59cm), 4” (10cm) thick at center
- Free Shipping worldwide!