Why We Love it
Balance your body with serenity and wellness with this one-of-a-kind Ojami Zabuton Cushion from Kyoto’s finest zabuton maker, Takaokaya, founded in 1919.
Inspired by the ancient Japanese beanbag toy, named ojami in Kyoto dialect, this ergonomic zabuton cushion is a treasure of centuries-old Japanese craftsmanship and tradition.
Employing expertise passed down through the generations, each Ojami Zabuton Cushion is handcrafted by master artisans to ensure every step contributes to impeccable comfort and firmness.
The handmade premium padding is carefully layered to offer the benefits of ergonomic seating with posture support and correction. No two cushions are ever alike thanks to the multi-step process of textile dyeing that creates subtle differences along the fabric grain.
This unique geometric design features the classic Seigaiha pattern created by overlapping circles, to represent the seas that surround the Japanese islands.
It is an iconic Japanese symbol for good luck and peaceful living.
How to Use Your Ojami Zabuton Cushion
- Ergonomic cushion The elegant Ojami cushions complement any chair or sofa. Unlike normal cushions, they offer ergonomic benefits for your back, helping you stay relaxed longer and effectively support your posture.
- Floor seating Our Ojami cushion is perfect for sitting on the floor to raise the hips, and reduce pressure on the ankles and knees, preventing muscle and joint aches, and easing blood circulation.
- Neck Support When the Ojami is used as a neck pillow, it aligns the head, neck, and shoulders correctly while maintaining the natural curvature of the spine and allowing muscles and ligaments to relax.
- Meditation: The Ojami is specifically designed as an zafu meditiation cushion. Its distinctive thickness and firm rounded top provides comfort for your bottom against hard floors. It also helps properly align your spine so energy flows easily through your body.
- Yoga: Use these thickly padded Ojami cushion to protect your knees or elbows, or take all the stress out of lotus and cross-legged positions, helping to alleviate lower back strain.
- Cotton Zabuton Cushion
- Handmade in Japan
- 100% cotton exterior; padding 70% cotton, 30% polyester
- Product code: 50037RD
- Size: 16” x 16” x 6” (40cm x 40cm x 10cm)
- Free Shipping worldwide!
Takaokaya has created masterfully handcrafted zabuton, seating cushions and futon mattresses in Kyoto since 1919. It is highly regarded for producing some of the finest zabuton cushions in the world.
Having recently celebrated its centennial anniversary, Takaokaya’s legacy lies in its unparalleled craftsmanship, made by master crafts people using tradtional techniques passed down from generation to generation.
Takaokaya combines Kyoto’s centuries-old textile expertise and the Japanese art of kutsurogi (a state of complete relaxation) to bring balance and comfort to contemporary lifestyles and harmonize any living and work space.
Takaokaya prides itself on handcrafting the zabuton cushions and futon mattresses one at a time. No two pieces are ever alike due the multi-step process of textile dyeing that creates subtle differences along the fabric grain.
This prized craftsmanship remains unchanged over a century ago and backed with a genuine philosophy of "simply bringing a smile on everyone's face,” the state achieved when resting on a futon or zabuton cushion from Takaokaya.
We ship to every country in the world direct from Tokyo.
Customers in the U.S.A. can now also enjoy even faster delivery with domestic shipping on selected items. Shipping is free on any order over USD $149. Free Shipping is either by USPS Express (3-5 days) or Japan Post EMS if shipping from Tokyo (6-10 days). Your items may be sent separately to make sure they arrive as quickly as possible.
Customers in Canada, the UK, France, Germany and Australia, can enjoy Free Express Shipping on any order over USD by Japan Post EMS usually takes between 6-10 days.
Customers in Japan can enjoy Free Shipping on any order, which will usually arrive within 1-2 days.
Customers in the rest of the world can enjoy Free Shipping on any order over USD $99 by registered airmail, which usually takes around 10-14 days. Please note that due to pandemic related restrictions, postal services are currently suspended to some countries. Please see the shipping update below for a full list of countries affected.
Other shipping options and costs vary by destination and include:
1) Standard shipping by registered airmail, which usually takes about 10-14 days.
2) Express shipping with Japan Post’s EMS service, which usually takes between 6-10 days.
3) FedEx Priority usually takes 2-5 days. We offer a subsidised flat rate to keep prices low.
4) USPS Express for domestic shipments within the U.S.A., which takes 3-5 days
5) DHL for the fastest U.S. domestic shipments, which takes 1-3 days.
All options include tracking information.
Taxes & Customs
Shipments from Japan to your country may be subject to additional taxes and handling fees imposed by the customs authorities and mail carrier of your country and region. Such costs are the responsibility of the customer.
Customs and import rules vary by country and region, so unfortunately we’re not able to estimate these in advance. The best way to be sure if any such charges will be applied is to check with your local customs authority.
Shipments from within the U.S.A. are subject to sales tax where mandated by federal and local authorities. This will be calculated at checkout.
Shipments within Japan are subject to consumption tax, which is included in the price.
Shipping Updates - May 2023
Due to the pandemic and the current situation in Eastern Europe, postal services to some countries have been temporarily suspended by Japan Post, however FedEx services are still available. If you are in one of the countries named below you can either choose FedEx Priority, or you can choose to have us hold on to your order until postal restrictions are lifted.
Countries where only FedEx is available
South America: All countries
Europe: Albania, Andorra, Cyprus, Georgia, Kosovo, Monaco, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Serbia, Slovakia
(Unfortunately, there are no shipping options currently available for customers in Ukraine, Russia, or Belarus.)
Asia: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bahrain, Bhutan, Brunei, Cambodia, India, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Laos, Maldives, Mongolia, Nepal, Oman, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Timor-Leste, UAE
Africa: All countries
Oceania: All countries except Australia & New Zealand
If you're in Japan, all shipping is free! You will receive your shipment within 1-2 days on the island of Honshu (the main island, including Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto), or 2-3 days for the rest of Japan. It may take an additional day if you order on a weekend or if you are located in Okinawa or the outlying islands.
If you're staying in a hotel in Japan, please include the reservation name and room number, otherwise your hotel may refuse to accept your package.
Tracking your Shipment
As soon as your order has shipped we will send you a confirmation email with a link to your order status. You will be able to track your shipment from there. It is the customer's responsibility to track shipments, and we will not be able to refund the shipping fees charged by the courier in case a shipment is returned due to non-collection.
If you would like to return or exchange your order for whatever reason, we're here to help! We offer no hassle returns or exchanges within 30 days of receiving your order. You can return your product for a different product, or a refund to the original payment method.
*Please note the following conditions to our return and exchange policy:
- Items must be returned unused and folded in the original packaging
- Discounted items or items purchased with store credit are not eligible for refund
- Shipping costs are not refundable. Shipping costs refers to the full amount paid to Japan Post or FedEx.
- You must provide proof of postage showing the postage date within the 30 days
- For hygiene reasons, we cannot accept returns on earrings, futon mattresses, or mattress covers
- Items marked Direct from Designer, have a refund period of 7 days instead of 30.
How do I claim my free refund?
Please contact us and we will confirm the shipping address for you to send the item.
Please return the item folded in its original plastic bag (don’t worry about the paper wrapping) and send to the address that we provide, noting on the customs form ‘Returned Item’. Please note that you must bear the shipping costs.
Once we receive the returned item and have confirmed its condition as unused and undamaged, we will issue a refund not including shipping costs or duties.
Do I have to pay shipping costs?
We offer a full refund of the product, not including the original shipping costs. You must bear the cost of return shipping.
If you received the original order damaged, then we will also cover both the initial and the return shipping costs.
Can I exchange for a different product?
Yes! To exchange an unused and undamaged item, you can process the return as described above and reorder the new item through the website.
Alternatively, when you notify us about a return, let us know which product you would like as a replacement, and we will hold it in stock for you until we receive the original return. Please note, there may be additional shipping costs.
What if my item is damaged?
Very occasionally items may be damaged in transport. In the unlikely event that you item arrives in a damaged condition:
We ask that you contact us within 48 hours of receipt. This enables us to make a claim with the shipping company.
Please keep hold of the damaged item and provide some photos of the damage.
We will issue you with a full refund or replacement, including shipping costs.
Who decides if I receive a refund or a replacement?
If you are entitled to a refund or replacement as described above, it is your choice which you receive.
If we no longer have the same item in stock, we will suggest one or more similar items. If you do not want the similar item, we will provide a refund instead.
How long will my refund take?
We will process the refund within 2 days of receiving the returned item.