Why We Love It
The glossy deep blue silk of this vintage women’s kimono is an ideal color for a joyous celebration like a wedding, especially as the kimono is hand embroidered with a kaioke motif.
Kaioke were pairs of hexagonal boxes originating in the Heian period about 1000 years ago. Often made of lacquered wood, they were filled with shell pieces, which had to be matched in a game, somewhat like snap! Long after the game fell out of fashion during the Edo period (1603-1868), kaioke continued to be used as a great wedding gift, or part of a bride’s dowry, representing the bringing together of two sets, or two families.
This women’s houmongi kimono has never been worn, so you should remove the loose white thread from the collar. Another unique aspect is the rich green color along the inner lining, known as the hakkake.
- This handmade vintage silk kimono is one-of-a-kind
- Type: Houmongi
- Materials & Techniques: 100% silk with embroidered kaioke motif, and silk lining
- Period: Late Showa (1970s-80s)
- Condition: AAA – Never been worn before. Remove loose white thread on collar.
- Code: 10932BL
- Size: Length 63” (160cm), width 51” (130cm), sleeve height 22” (56cm)
- For advice on choosing the right fit, check the Size Guide below.
Japan Objects Quality
We have handpicked every one-of-a-kind traditional kimono in our vintage collection. We conduct rigorous quality inspection and only select genuine Japanese kimono that are of exceptional value and condition. We are proud of all our vintage silk kimono, which truly embody the rare treasure of wearable art.
Every vintage kimono has been professionally cleaned and is beautifully gift-wrapped in Japanese washi paper. We offer free shipping worldwide for all our vintage kimono.
Japan Objects Store is a licensed vintage kimono dealer (Licence No 30112 200 8692).