Why We Love It
The detailed hand-painted and embroidered design of this kurotomesode traditional kimono makes this more of a work of art than a simple garment. You can see a large home, built in a Chinese style, surrounded by a rich landscape of mountains and pine forests, as a boat floats past on the glittering river.
Golden threads are woven into the painting to provide the warm glow of the sunlight reflecting off the feathers of an auspicious phoenix. You could contemplate this scene for hours and still find details to amuse and delight!
The kamon (crest) on the nape and sleeves represents wisteria, symbol of the famous Fujiwara family, and a popular motif for Japanese people stretching back to the very beginnings of recorded Japanese history.
- This handmade vintage silk kimono is one-of-a-kind
- Type: Kurotomesode
- Materials & Techniques: 100% silk with hand-painted intricate ancient Japanese scenery motif & embroidery, with silk lining
- Period: Showa (1950s-80s)
- Condition: AA – Some discoloration of the lighter colors in the design.
- Code: 10129BK
- Size: Length 62” (158cm), width 54½” (138cm), sleeve height 19” (48cm)
- For advice on choosing the right fit, check the Size Guide below.
Japan Objects Quality
We have handpicked every one-of-a-kind traditional kimono in our vintage collection. We conduct rigorous quality inspection and only select genuine Japanese kimono that are of exceptional value and condition. We are proud of all our vintage silk kimono, which truly embody the rare treasure of wearable art.
Every vintage kimono has been professionally cleaned and is beautifully gift-wrapped in Japanese washi paper. We offer free shipping worldwide for all our vintage kimono.