Why We Love It
The glorious purple color of this vintage silk kimono is sure to grab attention. Just as the ancient Romans, the Japanese have long associated the color purple with the imperial family. This regal effect is enhanced with the hand-painted and embroidered gosho garuma motif. These are the carts which were once used to carry the Emperor and other members of the nobility.
The silk fabric is woven with a hishi pattern, a kind of diamond design. This decorative geometric pattern can be seen as far back as the Jomon period over 2000 years ago.
- This handmade vintage silk kimono is one-of-a-kind
- Type: Houmongi
- Materials & Techniques: 100% silk with hand-painted intricate ancient carriage motifs, and silk lining
- Period: Late Showa (1970s-1980s)
- Condition: A – Excellent condition: light stain front bottom left
- Code: 10796PP
- Size: Length 64” (163cm), width 52” (132cm), sleeve height 22” (56cm)
- For advice on choosing the right fit, check the Size Guide below.
Japan Objects Quality
We have handpicked every one-of-a-kind traditional kimono in our vintage collection. We conduct rigorous quality inspection and only select genuine Japanese kimono that are of exceptional value and condition. We are proud of all our vintage silk kimono, which truly embody the rare treasure of wearable art.
Every vintage kimono has been professionally cleaned and is beautifully gift-wrapped in Japanese washi paper. We offer free shipping worldwide for all our vintage kimono.
Japan Objects Store is a licensed vintage kimono dealer (Licence No 30112 200 8692).